Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It was a good day, a very good day, indeed.

So today was another big day. We had two doctor appointments. One with the surgeon and another with the oncologist. I was a little nervous, but Jim and I talked about it last night and we decided that no matter what we were told, we were going to make the best of it and it was going to be OK. The appointment with the surgeon was really good. Jim is healing well, gets tired quickly, can't eat quite as much as he would like yet, still sore, but all normal for what he's been through, and within weeks, he should be feeling more and more like himself. The doctor was pleased with his progress, and so are we. Oh and that scar is looking really good, too! So, now onto the oncologist appointment..... what Dr. Gouw said is that Jim has a 20% chance that this could come back. I have to say that was good news to us, because after we got the high risk mitotic rate back we thought the chances of recurrence were going to be much higher. It is very confusing, so bear with me, but this is how they figure it out: 1. size of tumor (Jim's was just under 5 cm) 2. location of tumor (Jim's in stomach) 3. metastasis (none) 4. mitotic rate/how fast cells divide in tumor (Jim's high) So based on this equation they came up with the 20% chance of recurrence. There is a drug that is called Gleevec that he has to take to keep that from happening. He may have to take it the rest of his life, we don't know yet. Sometimes the body forms a resistance to it at some point, but every case is different. There are some side effects, but we are hoping he will not get any of those. He will start on it tomorrow. (Fingers crossed.) He has to have tests every few months to make sure it is not coming back, and that he is remaining stable. It's kind of a wait and see thing at this point. Speaking of Gleevec, this drug costs a lot of money, it can be hundreds of dollars for a one month supply. Most of the time insurance companies won't pay and if they do, there is a lot of red tape and pre-authorizations and hefty co-pays. We totally expected all this, so when we went to the pharmacy, we were expecting the worst, but praise God, they were able to fill it today for $35.00! I couldn't believe it! I made the pharmacist repeat it to me, it didn't register the first time. Holy Cow, what a blessing! God is good! Today could have been much worse, this whole experience could have been worse. Jim is going to live with cancer.....LIVE being the key word. Every day is a blessing! I hope with all my heart that Jim never, ever gets a tumor again. I must say that Jim has had and continues to have a positive attitude. It truly inspires me! That positive attitude just might keep it from ever coming back. Thank you all for your kind words, love, support, prayers, etc, etc. There have really been some dark moments for us the past couple of months, and we couldn't have gotten through them without all of you and without God's love. We are truly humbled and grateful beyond words. We have learned so much about kindness. We will be passing these blessings on to others. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts!

7 comments:

  1. I am smiling for you all! I will continue to pray that the cancer never comes back. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC news...thanks so much for sharing. I'm soooo happy for both of you. God is good - no - GREAT. Prayers still coming for you for a complete and permanent recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    First I have really heard some details of your health issue, and I am praying for you buddy. My best advise and I know you are already doing it is to be very strong and be positive.
    Its never good to hear of someone with cancer but it really strikes a nerve when it happens to someone we know and someone around the same age.
    Hopefully your recovery is complete and you can make it out to the reunion. Be well and godspeed!!
    Brian Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY WHERE HAVE I BEEN BATMAN! THATS AWESOME! GREAT NEWS! I must have been under some rock somewhere not knowing this until now! I am so so happy for you and so so happy that it was only 35.00! That is a miricle concidering the horror stories we had heard about how much that costs people! SO STOKED....Lets get together soon! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such awesome news! Yay! That is so great to hear. We love you guys and think of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nichole and Jimbo,
    There are several things I remember about Jimbo, the most important being his faith and commitment to God.
    God is good all the time, miracles still happen today and I am blessed to be a witness to His works on a daily basis.
    Thank you for the blog. I hope to see and meet you Nichole, you are an amazing woman and Jimbo, thank you for being an example in my life.
    God bless you Mathis Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Guys - We think of you so often. I pepper Harry with questions about you - In fact, tonight I asked - How's Jimbo? Has Jimbo started Gleevec yet? Does their insurance cover it? (I've heard of some end-arounds if it doesn't)... Then, decided to check facebook - I'm rarely on it - and saw the link to this wonderful post! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well! It drives me crazy that I run a fitness program for cancer survivors, and I'm so far away from you. As I study for my next certification(Cancer Exercise Trainer through ACSM) I always think of how I can apply my knowledge to help you. I would be delighted to do so, even from afar. Harry helped you with the smothered burrito program : ), and I could help with the less-tasty-but-just-as-helpful pumping iron program. Take me up on it!! We love you and hold you close in our hearts. Happy Easter. Love, MB, Harry, the girls, and the pup.

    ReplyDelete